Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Charlie Brown and Autism

                                                                                     


                          Hey everyone. You remember the comic about that round headed kid with the dog who think's he is a world war 1 flying ace? Yea that one. I have always loved the snoopy comic's, and in recent years i have come to look at them in a new light then just an enjoyable family comic. Everyone loves a fictional character or character's they can relate to, and this comic really nails that in the head for a certain number of individuals.

                      Long story short, a couple of years ago my parents had me tested for Autism, though i did not pass it, it was only by a few points. So my parents go ahead and label me Autistic, while just say Social Anxiety. While researching the topic they found an article explaining the various similarities to the Charlie Brown characters and people with Autism, OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder),  Asperger's Syndrome and more. Apparently Charlies Schultz's himself suffered from a form of Autism, and the comic strip was his way of sharing how he saw life, as well as the lives of other people with similar problems, using the various characters in the comic.

                     I personally relate best to both Charlie Brown and Linus. Well i am not completely Autistic like Charlie Brown i do relate many of his social problems he has, as for Linus he is what we will call OCD, which i also have (a common side problem to people with Social Anxiety Disorder and Autism). I also believe he is a little Autistic as well. My Little Pony also has some similar traits to some of it's characters. Such as Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy. Twilight has symptoms of OCD and is very orderly, but when it comes to making friends she is completely lost and has no idea what to do. So of course when her mentor Princess Celestia sends her to make friends what does she do? Come up with excuses to be by herself most of the time while still obeying her mentor. As for Fluttershy, well her name kind of says it all. She is nervous around other ponies and scared to assert herself or speak up in large crowds.

                   This is just a little interesting new look at the snoopy comic strip i thought i would share. It has certainly changed my view of it's many interesting character's. Twilight and Fluttershy have also moved up in my fave pony list from this. Tell us which character from both the Snoopy comic and MLP FIM you relate to the most.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is some pretty deep stuff. I don't think I'll ever see The Peanuts in the same way... Though, honestly, I haven't seen anything Peanuts-related for quite a while...

    On another note, everyone has their own little problems, it's been that way since the beginning of civilization. The only difference being that in more recent years, professionals have been able to put names to those problems and have figured out some ways to make them more manageable.

    But yeah, I actually have OCD. Though, I can't really relate to Twilight because I'm a lot more lazy. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lazy lot's of the time as well. However our dishwasher is a huge pain in the flank, and does not do a very good job cleaning dishes. While the rest of my family just rinses the dishes and uses them, i give them another thorough cleaning to be on the safe side. So sometimes my OCD overpowers my want to be lazy :)

      Delete
  2. Dude, your sort of putting Obsession Is Magic to shame. I think the deepest I ever get is "and then hentai." Keep it up the thought provoking posts!

    I also think I relate to, you guessed it, Twilight the most. But I find large parts of myself in each of the ponies as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Friendship Is Magic really taught me to be more open about who i am not only with myself but with others, and as you can see i have reflected that personal change into my blog :D

      Delete